28 Bull Street
Christ Church has known different buildings and different rectors. The present location was set aside by General James Oglethorpe for the colony's first church.
This Greek revival building designed by St. Simons Island Planter and Scholar James Hamilton Couper is the fourth church on the site and dates to 1838.Corinthian columns and pilasters flank the tall, narrow side windows of this simple but stately building.
Trust lots on the east and west side of each square were to be used for public buildings. The colony's house of worship was assigned to an east trust lot on the first square on Bull Street, the central street of historic Savannah. Initially, the church had neither a building nor a name. Georgia's mother church held its first Anglican service in Savannah in February 1733.
John Wesley, founder of Methodism, served in this church from 1736-1737 and under his direction, the first Sunday School class in North America was held here. In 1737 he published a Collection of Psalms and Hymns, the first English hymnal in America. Wesley's musical legacy continued. Francis Bland Tucker, a noted author of hymns, served as rector of Christ Church from 1945-1967.
Continuing its tradition of reaching out to the community, the church serves lunch to the homeless on weekdays.
For more information: