Historic Comer House
2 East Taylor Street
Monterey SquareJefferson Davis Slept Here!
The Comer House, an Italianate sidehall townhouse, built in 1880 for Hugh M. Comer, features segmental arches, molded lintels, overhanging eaves with paired brackets, and a traditional two story piazza on the east side. The interior of the homes is as lovely as the exterior with elegant plasterwork and opulent moldings.
In 1886, Jefferson Davis, former President of the Confederacy during the Civil War, was a guest in the Comer House, home of Hugh M. Comer, President of the Central of Georgia Railway. Accompanied by his daughter, Winnie Davis, "the Daughter of the Confederacy,” Mr. Davis arrived in Savannah on May 3. He was escorted from Atlanta by a committee of distinguished Savannah citizens including Hugh M. Comer, J. H. Estill, J. K. Carnett, George A. Mercer, J. R. Saussy, and Gen. G. Moxley Sorrel. The trip to Savannah has been described as a "continuous ovation.”
Davis arrived in Savannah to participate in the centennial celebration of Savannah’s Chatham Artillery, one of the oldest and most distinguished military units in the United States. During his stay, the former President of the Confederacy received many tributes of respect and affection from the local citizens and visiting military organizations, as well as from the thousands of visitors who attended the centennial festivities.
The Comer House is privately owned and not open to the public.
From Comer House to Historic Homes