Historic Elbert Square

Elbert Square was named for Samuel Elbert, a local farmer who was a member of Savannah’s Council of Safety, a member of the Provincial Congress of 1775, a Revolutionary War soldier, twice Sheriff of Chatham County, and the Governor of Georgia.

Many of the original buildings plots in the ward around this square were sold in order to install water cisterns in every Savannah square after the Great Fire of 1820. To add insult to injury, Savannah lost part of the square to US 17 in the 1930s and only a small strip of land remains.

The American Legion Flame of Freedom monument stood on this square from 1969 to 1985 when it was removed to Liberty Square.

From Elbert Square back to Savannah Squares

Custom Search