Emmet Park Monuments

Savannah's Emmet Park monuments and memorials include a tribute to the Irish community, one to Lutheran Protestants, and another to a local military unit.

Chatham Artillery Monument
Emmet Park

This memorial was dedicated in May of 1986 to honor the members of the Chatham Artillery, a Savannah military unit formed in 1786.

Inscribed: Soldiers in war, Patriots in Peace

Celtic Cross
Emmet Park

Dedicated in December, 1983, the Celtic Cross of Irish limestone from the County of Roscommon, in West Ireland, honors Savannahians of Irish descent, a reminder that their history was one of religion as much as it was about “hard work, suffering and endurance.” The monument faces Bay Street, and every year a wreath is laid at its pedestal, right before St. Patrick’s Day. 

Historical Marker
Savannah's Irish and Robert Emmet Park

Once known as the Strand and later as Irish Green because of its proximity to the Irish residents of Savannah's Old Fort neighborhood, this park was renamed in 1902 for the Irish patriot Robert Emmet (1778-1803) to commemorate the centennial of his death. Emmet, who led an unsuccessful Dublin uprising for Irish independence and was executed for treason, was a hero to Savannah's Irish community. Emmet is best known for the speech in which he asked that his epitaph not be written until "my country takes her place among the nations of the earth.” Emmet Park remains an important center of ceremonial congregation for Savannahians of Irish descent.

Erected by the Georgia Historical Society and the St. Patrick's Day Parade Committee.

Salzburger Monument of Reconciliation
Emmet Park

Denied their religious freedom, they were forced to leave their homeland.

The Salzburger Monument of Reconciliation, dedicated to the Georgia Salzburger Society in 1994 by the State of Salzburg, Austria, pays tribute to the Lutheran Protestants who sought religious freedom in Georgia after they were expelled from their homeland. The first group of German-speaking Lutherans, known as the Salzburgers, landed near the monument site in 1734 and soon settled in Ebenezer, north of Savannah.

On a visit to Savannah from Salzburg in 1984, Albert Winter observed that there were monuments to “Englishmen and Indians, but none to Austrians or Germans.” Thanks to his efforts, a monument honoring the Salzburgers was sculpted in Austria, brought to Savannah and dedicated on Labor Day 1994 in Emmet Park.

From Emmet Park Monuments back to Monuments and Memorials

Custom Search

Savannah Harbor LightHarbor Light
Emmet Park