Historic Orleans Square

Orleans Square and Jackson Ward were laid out in 1815 and, due to the eventual encroachment on the west by the Civic Center, suffers from a lack of integrity found in the other squares in the city. The Square was named to commemorate the battle of New Orleans and its hero, General Andrew Jackson, who ultimately became President of the United States. Jackson defeated the Creek Indians in Georgia, and expelled the Cherokee in Georgia, which allowed the state to be cleared for development by the settlers from England and the United States.

Despite the presence of the Civic Center and its influence on Orleans Square, there are a number of buildings which were designed and built by prominent architects and builders between 1800 and about 1875. These include the home located at 230 Barnard Street, designed by Charles Cluskey, 114–116 West Hull Street, which were built by John H. Ash in 1817, 105–107 West Perry Street, by DeWitt Bruyn in the 1870s and 117–119 West Perry Street, built by John Morel in 1818. At least one notable lived in these buildings over the years. 116 West Hull Street, for example, was occupied by architectural historian Walter Charlton Hartridge. 128 West Liberty Street is now the Stephen Williams House Inn.

Several of the homes on Orleans Square look almost as if they were built in New England – clapboard siding found on some homes throughout the city and high stoops might remind one of New England design and in fact, it was popular with the merchants and builders who came from that part of the country in the 1800s.

From Orleans Square back to Savannah Squares


Custom Search