Laid out in 1851 along Abercorn Street, Calhoun Square and Calhoun Ward were named for John C. Calhoun, known as “the Great Orator of the South.” Calhoun was a South Carolinian who served as U.S. Vice President, Secretary of State, and Secretary of War. Calhoun and President James Monroe visited Savannah in 1819 to attend ceremonies celebrating the launching of the USS Savannah steamship.
Many beautiful homes in the Greek revival style were built around Calhoun square and throughout the ward during the early 1800s.
On the east side of Calhoun Square at 426 Abercorn, is an elegant home built by George Ash in 1855. This home is significant for its doorway, high stoop, and exterior details. Notice the wrought iron camellia on the south side of the house.
The handsome home at 421 Abercorn built in 1859 features a mansard roof, high stoop, and marble steps. The Wesley Monumental Church presently owns this historic stucco on brick building.
The remarkable house at 430-432 Abercorn Street, built in 1868, faces the east side of the square. It features a high stoop, curved stairs, portico, bay windows and magnificent ironwork.
The Wesley Monumental United Methodist Church at 433 Abercorn Street honors Reverend John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, and his brother Reverend Charles Wesley who wrote “Hark the Herald Angels Sing. For more information on this historic church, click here.
The Massie Heritage Center (1856) at 201-213 East Gordon Street was built with funds from the estate of Peter Massie, a Brunswick farmer, as a school for Savannah’s poor children. It is recognized as Georgia’s oldest school in continuous operation, and one of Savannah’s finest structures. The building features a gable roof, wood cupola and cornice, and a unique connecting passageway. Designed by John Norris and completed in 1856, the wings were added in 1872 and 1886. For more information on the Massie Heritage Center, click here.
The rowhouses at 215-229 East Gordon Street which date to 1875, feature wood cornices and brackets and brick segmental arch window heads.
The beautiful pair of townhouses at 206-210 East Taylor Street were built by George Ash in 1855. George Ash and his family was in the building business in Savannah for many years and built a number of wonderful homes.
George Ash also built the pair of Greek revival brick sidehall houses at 216-218 East Taylor Street. Built in 1864, both houses, as well as those at 206-210 East Taylor Street, feature a dentiled cornice of multiple rows.
As an Amazon Associate, we earn commissions from qualifying purchases on Amazon.com at no cost to you. Purchases of qualifying products from other affiliates generated by links on this site, may result in additional sources of affiliate commission.