Laid out along Barnard Street in 1847, Chatham Square was one of the last four squares laid out to the south. Chatham Square and Chatham Ward were named for William Pitt, the Earl of Chatham, known as the Great Commoner. Pitt supported the Americans against the king and criticized the harsh British policies in the colonies.
The square is anchored by the Bernard Street School at 212 West Taylor Street, which was built in 1901 in the Egyptian revival style with an Italian tile roof. The building was recently purchased and renovated by the Savannah College of Art and Design.
Wealthy Savannahians made rich by the cotton boom built many beautiful Greek revival homes in this area during Savannah’s “golden age” in the 1850s. The ward contains one of the city’s best blocks of rowhouses, as well as some interesting paired houses.
Near this square at 101-129 West Gordon Street is “Gordon Row,” an entire block of fifteen magnificently restored three-story brick townhouses with curved steps and decorative cast iron railings.
Built in 1852, the Blues Range at 443-455 Barnard Street is a row of two-and-one-half story Greek revival townhouses. The row is named for the Republican Blues, one of Savannah’s volunteer military organizations, which still exist today.
From Chatham Square back to Savannah Squares
As an Amazon Associate, we earn commissions from qualifying purchases on Amazon.com at no cost to you. Purchases of qualifying products from other affiliates generated by links on this site, may result in additional sources of affiliate commission.