Although all of the Savannah squares were originally fenced in, Crawford Square is the only one that retains part of its original fence. The square sits in a ward of the same name and was laid out in 1841 along Houston Street, on the east side of the city. The square was named for William Harris Crawford, a Georgia senator, Minister to France, Secretary of War, and unsuccessful presidential candidate in the election of 1824. Houston Street was NOT named for Sam Houston of Alamo fame, but for John Houston, son of an important British military leader.
This square is bisected by Houston Street and East Hull. McDonough and East Perry intersect with it. Crawford Square and its ward are home to several important buildings and sites, including the county jail and police department, as well as the police barracks.
The jail and police department are housed in an 1887 building located at 235 Habersham Street, which is Italianate in style with a mosque-like dome, reminiscent of north African architecture. This building was designed by the McDonald Brothers.
The police barracks, which sits on the border of the Colonial Cemetery, date to approximately 1870. It is also Italianate in style.
Homes in the ward and on Crawford Square are often row houses or townhouses built between about 1840 and the 1880s. The owners frequently built these so that they could live in one and rent the others. Good examples of these can be seen on Habersham Street and Liberty Street.
From Crawford Square back to Savanah Squares