514 East Huntingdon Street
Savannah’s King-Tisdell Cottage is dedicated to the preservation of African American history and culture. The cottage is named for Eugene and Sarah King, and Mrs. King’s second husband, Robert Tisdell, former owners of the cottage. It contains many interesting artifacts and is furnished with period pieces typical of a coastal black residence of the 1890s. The works of African-American sculptor Ulysses Davis (1913-1990) are featured here and at the Beach Institute.
Originally built on another site in 1896 by W. W Aimar, this handsomely restored Victorian center-hall cottage is significant for the intricate gingerbread ornamentation on the porch and dormer in the wheel and spindle pattern. The residence was scheduled for demolition in 1970, but a joint effort of the City of Savannah and the Historic Savannah Foundation saved the property, and it was moved to the current location.
The Museum of Black History is owned and operated by the King-Tisdell Cottage Foundation, which also owns and operates the Negro Heritage Trail tours and the Beach Institute on the corner of Price and Harris Streets. The Negro Heritage Trail begins at the King-Tisdell Museum.
For more information on the King-Tisdell Museum
or the Negro Heritage Trail:
or connect with them on Facebook.
From King Tisdell Cottage back to Savannah Museums
As an Amazon Associate, we earn commissions from qualifying purchases on Amazon.com at no cost to you. Purchases of qualifying products from other affiliates generated by links on this site, may result in additional sources of affiliate commission.