120 Bull Street
National Register of Historic Places
Organized in 1741, The Lutheran Church of the Ascension is one of Savannah's most familiar landmarks. Exiled by Catholic authorities in Salzburger, a small group of Lutherans arrived in Savannah in 1734, about a year after General Oglethorpe. They settled about 30 miles upriver at a place they called Ebenezer, but the two Lutheran pastors often came to Savannah to preach and to perform marriages and baptisms. In 1771, the church trustees purchased the present lot, which has been in continuous use since that time.
Designed by George B. Clarke and completed in 1875-1879, the building combines Norman and Gothic styles. The main sanctuary features a beautiful Ascension window with stained glass windows presenting scenes from the life of Christ on each side. A marble altar depicts da Vinci's "Last Supper."
The church served as a hospital for the sick and wounded during the Civil War. Pew cushions were used for beds and the pews for firewood. Although extensively damaged, the building was not destroyed. A major renovation was begun 1875 and a second story was added. The Ascension Window arrived in October 1878, and the new building was dedicated in April 1879.
Open to the public
For more information:
Lutheran Church of the Ascension