National Trust Historic Landmark
The Sorrel-Weed House is an exceptional example of the Greek revival style. It was was designed and built by renowned Irish architect Charles B. Cluskey in 1841 for Frances Sorrel, a commission merchant from the West Indies. Regarded as one of Savannah’s most beautiful mansions, the home features a parapet with elliptical arches, a sweeping double entrance and Doric columns on the portico, and balconies on the first story front windows. An oval shaped library with curved wooden doors is of particular interest.
This historic treasue was also home to Francis Sorrel’s son, Moxley Sorrel of Civil War fame. Sorrel served as a staff officer to Confederate Lt. General, James Longstreet, and proved himself a hero at the Battle of the Wilderness in May, 1864. Promoted to the rank of Brigadier General in 1864 at the age of 26, he was the youngest general officer in the Confederate army. Robert E. Lee visited the home in 1861 before taking command of the Army of Northern Virginia the following year.
The Sorrel-Weed House was designated a state landmark in 1953, the first house in Georgia to be so honored. The house is also a National Trust Historic Landmark.
Note the color of the house. When it was originally restored, the Historic Savannah Foundation did not want the owner to use the color, as it was not considered one of Savannah’s original colors. The city attempted to prevent the owners from using that color of paint. However, after scraping off over 20 layers of old paint, the owner was able to prove that it was, in fact, the original color. End of discussion. The color stayed.
The Sorrel-Weed House is open to the public for tours.
For infomation on hours and price of admission:
From the Sorrell-Weed House back to Historic Homes
As an Amazon Associate, we earn commissions from qualifying purchases on Amazon.com at no cost to you. Purchases of qualifying products from other affiliates generated by links on this site, may result in additional sources of affiliate commission.