Laid out in 1790, Warren Square and Warren Ward were laid out after the final departure of James Oglethorpe and after the American Revolution and were, therefore, among the first extensions of the city.
The square and the ward were named for General Joseph Warren, a hero of the American Revolution and president of the Third Provincial Congress of Massachusetts, which existed prior to the revolution.
Warren Square is bordered by East Bryan, Habersham, E. Congress and East St. Julian Streets. East St. Julian Street was the subject of preservation work by the Historic Savannah Foundation in the 1960s, and served to preserve the area and bring houses threatened with demolition to the old street. Accordingly, there are a number of interesting and historical homes on the Warren Square and in the ward.
Beginning on Habersham Street at number 24, the frame home was built in 1797 by John Mongin. This property has served several functions over its long life. In addition to being used as a residence, it was also a rectory for the Christ Episcopal Church and as a hospital in 1876, during a yellow fever epidemic. In 1825, it was visited by General Lafayette. However, this was not the home’s original location. It was moved here from a tithing lot on Warren Square. It was built originally in the post-colonial style, but many wonder whether all of the decorative work and architectural features existed in the original.
At 22 Habersham Street, George Basil Spencer had a post-colonial home built sometime after 1790 and before 1804. This was one of the most elaborate houses of its day. It was subsequently saved from destruction by the Historic Savannah Foundation.
426 East St. Julian Street was also moved in an effort to save it. It was originally on Price Street. Henry Willink, who owned a Confederate shipyard during the Civil War, had the home built in 1845. The story goes that Willink was released from charges of aiding the enemy because of his unabashed admission that he had.
The home located at 404 East Bryan Street was also moved to Warren Square from West Perry Street. It had been built for the John Eppinger family between 1821 and 1822 in the Federal style. It was later occupied by Judge Peter Meldrim, who was also a later owner of the Green-Meldrim House. However, he resided in this home during the Civil War years.
From Warren Square back to Savannah Squares
As an Amazon Associate, we earn commissions from qualifying purchases on Amazon.com at no cost to you. Purchases of qualifying products from other affiliates generated by links on this site, may result in additional sources of affiliate commission.