Washington Square was one of several new squares that came along in a quick succession after the American Revolution.
Washington Square and Washington Ward were laid out in 1790, and of course were named after the Revolutionary War general and first president, George Washington. The square is bordered by East Bryan, East St. Julian, East Congress and Houston Streets. It is one short block from East Broad Street, the eastern boundary of the original city. There are a number of interesting and surprising homes on this square. Virtually every home on Washington Square and the immediately surrounding streets has been owned by a person or family of historical interest or has some unique attribute, such as having been moved from another location or rebuilt in the late 1900s in order to preserve it.
At 508-510-512 East Bryan Street are two-story row houses built in 1892 in what is known as the Carpenter-Italianate style. This style is common throughout Washington Square during the late 19th century. By that time, and due to the paving of the streets, the stoops on these houses were often low and the first floor basement which had been common of earlier homes was no longer in fashion.
Around the corner on Price Street are homes located at 12, 14 and 16 Price Street, which feature a double gallery – a design feature which was not common to Savannah. Interestingly, this home is a 1968 replica of the original, which was built for William Williams before 1809.
On Houston Street, number 21 was moved from Troup Ward in an effort to save it from demolition. It had originally been built in 1852. Number 23 Houston Street was built in1803 for Joachim Hartstene in the Federal style. It was rebuilt in 1964 using many of its original construction materials.
507 East St. Julian Street is a post-colonial house. It was built for Hamton Lillibridge and is Georgian in style. It too was moved from East Bryan Street.
From Washington Square to Savannah Square